Thursday, May 5, 2011

Playing Around with Bread

Summer Boredom Buster #2



I grew up with the HOT Arizona summers.  I still remember the summer it hit 122 degrees!  My summer mornings were spent at the pool for swim team, and the mid afternoon was spent inside simply because it was just too hot to be outside. 

Playing with bread dough is fun for my kids, and it allows me time to take a shower or get some laundry done! It's a great indoor activity after the swimming pool or sports activity. Plus, the oven only needs to be on for about 15 minutes (or, you could cook the bread on the sidewalk if you live in the Valley of the Sun!)







Here's my sister-in-law's super easy breadstick recipe.
** Instead of rolling out the dough, you can just let your kids make their own creations!

Breadsticks
 1 T. yeast
1 1/2 C. warm water
2 T. sugar
3 1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Melted butter

Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, salt, and flour. Knead for 3 minutes. Let rest 20 minutes. Roll dough into rectangles about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 1 inch wide strips and place onto a greased cookie sheet. Brush tops with melted butter. Sprinkle with salt, garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, or cinnamon sugar.  Cover and let rise until double.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes.




Photobucket

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Do you think it would work woth whole wheat flour?

Heidi said...

I'm sure it would! Maybe decrease the amount of yeast though. Do you use the white wheat kernels? I've found that if I ground the white wheat kernels, they are easier to bake with then the red kernels. They have the same nutritional value too, from what I understand.