Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Trying something new!...Quinoa!

I was recently introduced to the versatile grain (or is it a seed?) of Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WA).
In my quest to feed my family a little healthier...this recipe turned out pretty good! I think my kids would have liked it more if it had chicken or ham in it though. This recipe came from my friend Kristy S.  She is an amazing mom who is about to have her 6th child any day. I wish I had her energy! She goes all over the place with her kids.  Well...maybe I'm on my way if I can keep up with all these veggies I've been eating lately! My goodness...sometimes I feel like a rabbit with all the greens I'm eating!

Quinoa Vegetable Salad

1 tsp. canola oil
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 C diced yellow or purple onion
2 1/2 C water
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
2 C uncooked quinoa
3/4 C diced fresh tomato
3/4 C diced carrots
1/2 C diced yellow pepper
1/2 C diced cucumber
1/2 C frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/4 C diced red onion
1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Directions:
Heat the canola oil in saucepan over medium heat, saute garlic and 1/4 cup onion about 5 min. Pour in water, 2 tsp salt, and black pepper. Bring to boil. Stir the quinoa into the mixture, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Allow to simmer until quinoa is tender (about 20 min). Drain any remaining water and transfer to a large bowl. Refrigerate until cold.
Stir vegetables into chilled quinoa mixture. Season with cilantro, mint, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the salad; gently stir until evenly mixed.



 I got this at Costco.  The bag says that the quinoa is thoroughly rinsed. Don't believe it!  Both me and my husband bit into something hard...like a piece of sand or something.  So make sure you rinse this off first.  I would use a fine strainer or something. 







Photobucket

1 comment:

Jinky said...

This looks delicious!! My body might not be able to handle it though ...so healthy ...haha..

I really need to feed my body better food!! --Thanks for the reminder.