Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Old Fashioned Golden Chicken Pie

Whenever I get to take a meal to someone, this is always my "go-to" meal, because it doesn't require a bunch of dishes.  I can bake it right into a tin pie pan (I can by 3 tin pans for $1.00 at the dollar store).  And the gravy can be put into one of those disposable tupperware-type containers that aren't too expensive.  Everyone always requests the recipe...so I'll share it with ya!

This was one of my favorite meals growing up...and I usually requested it for my birthday dinner!

 This is an easy recipe to double too! I have to double it for our family, and there's usually some leftover my me to each for lunch the next day. :)



Now...I've never really been great at making pie crust...so I cheat and use the store-bought dough. It makes the prep time much faster too. And I'm all about quick prep meals!
shhhh...don't tell my mom!


Old Fashioned Golden Chicken Pie

2 C. cooked chicken (cubed)
1 Tbsp. flour
1 C. sliced carrots
1 C. chopped onions
1/2 C. sliced celery
1/2 tsp. thyme leaves, crushed
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 C butter or margarine
1 can Golden Mushroom Soup (made by Campbell's)
Pastry for 2 pie crusts

Toss cooked chicken with flour, then set aside.  In saucepan, cook carrots, onions, and celery with thyme and pepper in butter until tender.  Stir in soup and chicken mix.  Pour into 9 inch pastry-lined pie pan.  Roll out remaining pastry: cut into 1/2 inch strips, then lattice the top of pie.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned. Serve with gravy.



Photobucket

4 comments:

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Oh, this looks delicious! I love pot pie!
Thank you for adding our button to your sidebar! I hope you can join us in organizing our hearts and homes. Be sure to take pictures and join the linky party! :)
Blessings,
Traci

Kristin said...

Yum! I love baking from scratch, but I keep bombing on the pie crusts! LOL

Jae said...

Saw your post on a linky party. I love chicken pot pie!!
I'm following your blog. Hopefully you will follow back. I love reading all your entries :)

Sawdust and Paperscraps said...

I can't wait to try this!