Thursday, January 20, 2011

Girls Chandelier Tutorial

I have been ooooing and awwwwing over the chandelier from Brassy Apple (HERE) for quite some time now. So she was definitely my inspiration!

I promised my girls I would make their room cute when we moved to Colorado. It's getting there!
Here's the latest BLING in their room...





I found these things in the garden department at Lowes.

 I found the chandelier crystals in the lighting department at Lowes. I bought 2 packages. These were about $5.00 per package. I just grimaced...and bit the bullet on this one.  I didn't feel like shopping around with my 3 youngest kids in tow!

  I also got these at Lowes.


I bought a 1"x1" piece of pine wood and had them cut it to 10 inches long. (You need something at least 1 inch around, or your screw will poke out the other side).

Predrill each hole before you attach everything. Make sure you use the proper size of drill.
My brackets and hooks are not perfectly even...because I didn't want the screws to hit each other...but you can't really tell when everything is put together.

Screw the finial into the bottom. I used a little bit a wood glue too.


I spray painted it white. But the next day it turned pink.  My girls are just as indecisive as I am!

To hook the crystals on...I used 20 gauge wire that I had and made a little twisty loop-de-loop.


These hung on the wire brackets.

I used 4 crystals (with the wire gauge loop) on the wire brackets.
And 4 crystals on the plain hooks ( I simply attached the crystal to the hook).


I had some silver bead necklaces that I bought from the dollar bins at Target during Christmas time.  But you can find these necklaces at the party stores, or probably the dollar store.  I've also seen them in the birthday party section at Target or Walmart.



I hope you've been inspired!
Have a great day!

Linking up to:






Photobucket

10 comments:

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Heidi-

This is so cute. When my daughter's were little they would have loved this. It is so big girl, but cute at the same time. I hope they gave you lots of kisses for coming up with such a great idea for their room. What a great mommy you are!
My best-Diane

Megan said...

it's fabulous!!! so glad you tried it! I hope you share your pic in the brassy apple flickr group! http://www.flickr.com/groups/brassyappleprojects/pool/

Michaela said...

What a fun chandelier!! I bet they adore it. Great job. I love the sparkle (:

Nicole said...

This is so adorable and so girly, perfect for a little girl's room! Visiting from Tatetots & Jello

The Crafty Gals said...

That is so clever! Crazy that you thought to make it from scratch. Well done!
~Mary
www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

My girls would love this...so pink and girly!

Dacia said...

Wow, what a great job you did making your own chandelier! How awesome!

Jinky said...

Wow Heidi, that looks awesome!! Exact replica. You so rock!!

I'm the Mom that's why said...

You are so crafty!!! I wish I had a house and I would make this to hang up. Both my 3 yr old and my 13 year old would love it!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

OH MY!! What a great use of those objects!! Amazing!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!