Sunday, November 7, 2010

Entryway Stories

I've got a confession...

I have a thing for old trunks.  I love the story that's behind them, and the worn out, loved look that comes with them.

But old trunks usually cost more than I want to pay...
until I found these for super cheap ($35) on Craigslist...



It was LOVE at first sight!



Here's the story that they came with...

Above: On July 29, 1929 this trunk was shipped from Kansas to Colorado on the American Railway Express.  It's contents were estimated at $1300 (that's what it says on the original tag...which is still attached!)

Below: This carried the belongings of a U.S. soldier in 1967.  It still has the tag attached to the side too!




I love decor that has meaning behind it. Even though I didn't know these people personally, I still feel a connection.  We all have great stories to tell.   

(Yes...that's cardboard sitting on the bottom of the floor.  I need to find some floor protectors for these lovlies.)



Have a great day!

(Go check out the linky parties at Cottage Instincts and Funky Junk Interiors...
Ther are so many fun ideas to look at from everybody!)

Photobucket

4 comments:

Sawdust and Paperscraps said...

Oh- I love old trunks too.

Kristin said...

Oh yes! Trunks are the best! Love them! Great find! ;o)

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Heidi-

How cool is it that the trunks you purchaed still have the orignal owners tags on them? - way cool I think. So much history and a story to tell. Great converstion starter when you entertain in the room. They look great placed behind your sofa - the perfect sofa table.

My best- Diane

I'm the Mom that's why said...

Love the old trunks!!! Super neat...a good place to store extra blankets too!